Q. How to organise my toolbox?
A. Every household should have a good toolkit – but do not worry – there is no need to buy it all at once. They can be collected over time, as and when you need them. Tools can be expensive, however, it is a good idea to invest in quality tools because they will serve for a lifetime. Always buy the best tools that you can afford at the time, and over the years you will accumulate a high-quality collection. As for the toolbox itself – choose the one with many compartments – these help to keep tools organised.
The majority of people will need a hammer, screwdriver, torch or spanner from time to time. Here are a few other things that may come handy at some point:
- Adjustable spanner it is a multipurpose spanner, its jaw may be adjusted to fit nuts and bolts of various sizes
- Plier wrench a similar tool to adjustable spanner but a little more sophisticated, it not only has size-adjustable jaws but also has a lever that allows you to lock jaws in position
- Combination pliers a simple but very useful gripping tool, it may be used to hold, turn or pull out various types of fixing or fitting
- Scraper can be used to remove any decorative coverings, like old wallpapers
- Craft knife a very sharp knife used for precision cutting purposes
- A selection of slot-headed and cross-headed screwdrivers will enable you to deal with a variety of sizes of slot and cross headed screws. Sets of Pozidriv and Phillips screwdrivers will cover most scross-headed screws.
- Electrical detection screwdriver there is a power detector on top of this screwdriver with an indicator light placed in its hundle
- Box of fixings with a good selection of fixings (general purpose with various sizes fixings) you will be prepared for every occasion
- Panel saw it can be used for cutting many different types of material
- Cable, stud and pipe detector helps you to find pipes and wires below surfaces
- Spirit level you should use it to position fixtures and fittings
- Tape measure and calculator
- Dust masks, safety glasses and gloves always protect yourself when handling DIY tasks
- In addition, the following can be handy from time to time in every house: electric drill with drill and driver bits, bucket, stepladder, extension cable and portable workbench
Q. Where can I buy tools?
Interested in our services? Give us a call today
What ever you need, any type of building work, can be done fast, efficiently and for sensible price. We can provide free estimates. Book your estimate now. Just dial 020 8829 0458 and one of our assistants will answer all your questions.
Whould you like find out more about our services?
We have experienced specialists in any type of building works! If you want to find out more about how we could improve your home and pricing please send your question over email and we would be more than happy to answer.
A. Always invest in the best quality tools. They do not have to be the most expensive tools on the market, but try and choose the best that you can afford. Sometimes, it can be a good idea to buy second-hand tools, especially if you choose good brands, they will still serve for a lifetime. You can visit a local building or electrical shop or order your tools online. Online shopping has proved to be much cheaper. Here are the most popular places to buy tools, and their online addresses.
- Ebay (for new or second hand tools)
- The builders shop
- MKM building supplies
Q. How do I drill through tiles without cracking them?
A. You will need the following: drill and bits, vacuum cleaner, wall plug, pencil, masking tape. Mark the point on the tile for the fixing using a pencil, then apply masking tape over the mark (make sure that you mark is still visible). Fit a tile drill bit (select an appropriate size) and switch off any hammer action. In order to avoid unnecessary mess you may ask someone to hold a vacuum cleaner just below the mark while you switch on the drill. Start drilling on a low speed and slowly increase it. Once you made your way through the tile, change the bit accordingly for a masonry or wood bit, and drill to the required depth. When the whole is deep enough, remove the masking tape and plug the hole with the wall plug and insert the fixing as required.
Q. How can I fix drawer runners?
A. To adjust or re-fix the runner in your drawer you will need the following: screwdriver, spirit level and bradawl. First, unscrew the runner and try to leave the rear screw in place. Position the spirit level on the runner and use a bradawl to mark new fixing holes. Then, screw the runner back in place. Position the drawer and check how it operates after your adjustments. Re-adjust if required.
Q. How to unblock traps?
A. To deal with this problem you will need the following: bowl or bucket, old toothbrush and replacement washers. Traps are the most common areas where blockages occur. Some traps have so called ‘cleaning eye’ on the side, you will most likely find one of those just under your kitchen and bathroom sinks. The ‘cleaning eye’ unscrews, which allows cleaning without removing the trap. Firstly, undo the basin trap and position a bowl underneath it to catch any water. Then, remove debris and wash the trap in a bucket, now you can make use of the old toothbrush. When the trap is clean you can replace it. To prevent future leaks you may replace any worn washers.
Q. How to unblock pipes?
A. To deal with this problem you will need the following: chemical cleaner, protective gloves, plunger. First make sure that the trap is clear, if so it means that the problem is in the basin waste system. You can try apply the chemicals into the blockage. Remember to wear protective gloves and ventilate the place when using chemicals. Follow instructions provided. If chemicals don’t work, use a plunger. Place the cup over the plughole and pump up and down. To prevent blockages in the future, always remove debris from plugholes.
Q. How to unblock the toilet?
A. To deal with this problem you will need the following: auger. The auger burrows into the blockage and loosens it up. First, pull a section of the auger out of the drum. Then tighten the retaining nut on top of the auger body. And finally, rotate the drum of the auger so it burrow into the waste system to dislodge the blockage.
Q. How to adjust loose toilet seat?
A. If your toilet seat is in a good condition, there is no need to buy a new one, the only thing that you have to do is simply adjust the lid. The screwdriver is the only tool that you need for this task. Firstly, locate the nuts that hold the seat and lid to the pan, unscrew them and slide their rubber washers to adjust the opening angle of the lid. Then, tighten the nuts and check that the seat and lid now open to the desired angle.